Electric Generators – Buying Guide, Reviews and Opinions
If you are planning a trip to the mountains and need to bring some electronic devices with you on your trip, the trunk of your car should not lack an electric generator that can power a computer, smart phone and tablet, or even a small fridge or TV. Some people even use portable generators to supply additional electricity source to the power instrument they use daily in their profession, home or trade.
Among the best electric generators on the market is the Hyundai Dhy6000Lek which stands out for working at 3000 RPM thanks to its 4-stroke direct injection engine.
If you want to buy the best electric generators of the moment, we recommend you to look at each of the products we have selected for you, so that you can make a comparison between several models and decide which one fits your needs perfectly. If you are looking to go green, see our top reviewed solar generators
Best Electric Generators
When buying generators in 2020, it’s important to know one is getting good value for money. Its not only important that you get a good value for money generator, you also need to factor in cost of maintenance to keep your generator running for a very very long time.
In case you need a powerful electric generator that works efficiently, we recommend you look at this powerful model that has a compact 4-stroke diesel engine with 10 horsepower.
This diesel-electric generator has a voltage of 230V and a current of 23.9 amps. It also has two 16 amp sockets, ideal for plugging in two pieces of equipment or devices at once. You can easily observe and adjust the values and power of this model thanks to its small digital LED display.
It is considered one of the best electrical generators of 2020 thanks to all its previous features, besides having a manual or electric start mode as the case may be. On the other hand, it generates a noise level of up to 77, 5 dBA at 7 meters distance.
If you are looking for the best electric generators, it is important that you look at and compare each of the advantages and disadvantages of all the models on this list, starting with this Hyundai generator.
- Support: It has a special support that allows it to reduce the vibrations generated when it is in operation
- Regulator: Thanks to its automatic AVR voltage regulation system, you can achieve a stable output voltage.
- Engine: It is equipped with a 4-stroke air-cooled diesel engine with direct injection and rated at 5,000 watts.
- Fuel tank: It has a large fuel tank of up to 14 litres, which will allow you to have a long operation.
- Price: The high price of this electric generator forces you to look at other alternatives, especially if you are a bit tight on your budget.
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP13000EH is powered by a 500cc OHV Duromax Engine.
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 13,000 starting watts and 10,500 watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights, refrigerators, home conditioners and high amperage power tools.
- MAXIMUM POWER: The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 1 120/240V 50A heavy duty outlet, 1 120/240V 30A twist lock outlet, 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet, and 2 120V 20A household outlets.
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: Like all DuroMax generators, the XP13000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
Ideal for spending your leisure time on the computer or charging your mobile phone if you are in an isolated place without any kind of power outlet, this compact and portable Honda electric generator is ideal for carrying in the trunk of your car, as it can be conveniently stored anywhere thanks to its dimensions of 51 x 42.5 x 29 centimetres.
Honda is considered the best brand of electric generators thanks to the performance and features offered by its products. This model incorporates a 4-stroke, 1-cylinder GX100 engine, which is air-cooled and achieves a maximum output power of 2,000 watts.
It incorporates a 0.4 litre oil tank with an Oil Alert sensor that warns if the level is below the indicated level, as well as a 4.1 litre fuel tank.
If you still don’t know which is the best electric generator, we recommend you to look at all the important features of this model, both the positive and negative ones.
- Time: It has an extended operating time of approximately 10 hours thanks to its fuel tank of up to 4.1 litres.
- Power: This model stands out for its nominal power of 1,600 watts, managing to reach 2,000 watts.
- Gas: Consider this equipment ideal for use in open spaces, as it emits some gases that can be toxic and harmful to health.
- Inverter - Fuel efficient, stable power for sensitive equipment & electronics
- Lightweight and portable
- Quiet, trusted jobsite power
- 2800 watts, 120V
- Jobsite grade - GFCI protection, OSHA & LA-ETL compliant
When we talk about electric generators, it is necessary to look at the nominal and maximum power that the device reaches. This model reaches 2,000 watts of power and is equipped with a 4.2 liter fuel tank that allows it to run from 3.5 to 8 hours. In addition, it incorporates two USB 3.0 inputs with which you can charge various devices.
This Tacklife branded product stands out for being considered a silent electric generator thanks to its noise reduction system that is composed of a lateral shock absorber that allows for a sound level that ranges from 65 to 78 dB and will not affect the users’ peace of mind.
Considered one of the cheapest models on this list, this electric generator has a service door on the right side of this generator to make the necessary maintenance easy.
To choose the best value for money electric generator you need to review the highlights of this and the other models on this list.
- Power: The engine of this compact electric generator reaches 2,000 watts of power, making it ideal for providing sufficient energy to a large number of devices.
- Converter: Using a practical frequency converter, this equipment manages to consume less gasoline than other similar models.
- Compact: Thanks to its compact dimensions of 53 x 28.5 x 48.5 centimetres, you can comfortably carry this generator in small spaces.
- Interference: If you need to connect any interference-sensitive device such as some models of televisions, we recommend that you choose another model.
Known as one of the lightest models on the market, this electric inverter generator weighs approximately 9.5 kilograms, allowing most users to easily move it to the place where some electrical power is needed.
This electric generator incorporates a 40 cubic centimeter, 4-stroke, single-phase engine that is fueled by gasoline, producing a maximum power of 0.96 KVA and 1.35 horsepower. It reaches 5,500 RPM in normal function and in echo mode up to 3,600 RPM.
It has a 2.1-liter fuel tank which allows it to achieve a range of 4 hours, varying according to the use you give it. It also generates a sound level of 59 dB and sound power of 93 dB(A).
If you still don’t know which electric generator to buy, it is advisable to take a closer look at the most outstanding features of this practical model.
- Engine: Equipped with a practical 4-stroke 40-cubic-centimetre engine with 1.35 horsepower, which achieves a total output power of 0.70 KVA.
- Portability: Thanks to its compact dimensions of 42.5 x 23 x 38 centimeters and approximate weight of 9.5 kilograms, you can easily take this equipment anywhere.
- Sound: It has an intelligent noise reduction system that allows it to reach a noise level of up to 59 dB.
- Autonomy: Bear in mind that the autonomy of this generator is approximately 4 hours, so if you are looking for a device that can supply energy for longer, we recommend you look at another model.
- Your purchase includes One Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator, 46596 model (EPA Compliant)
- Portable Generator dimensions: 23.2” L x 17.5" W x 19.6" H. Product weight: 99.2 lbs
- Specifications: Noise level – 68 dBA from 23 ft. | Volts – 120V | Gasoline Running Amps – 29.2 | Frequency – 60Hz | Gasoline Run time at ½ load – 12.0 h | No Parallel Capability | Voltmeter Included – Intelligauge | Gasoline Capacity – 3.8 gal.
- Outlets – A 120V 30A locking | 120V 30A RV |120V 20A household. Includes a low-oil shut-off sensor and has a 0.6-quart oil capacity (recommended 10W-30)
- This unit includes an internal AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator), as well as backup Voltguard to prevent overloads and keep your valuable equipment safe from voltage spikes
This is a portable electric generator with double output of 230V and 16A, which also includes a charging socket for batteries or a direct current of 12V and 5A. This quiet model is equipped with a 111cc engine that generates up to 2,200 watts of starting power and approximately 1,700 watts of continuous operation.
You will have no problem connecting any type of laptop, TV or game console to this generator in complete safety, as it has a total harmonic distortion of no more than 3%. It is a compact model of 52 x 35 x 43 centimeters, so you can comfortably store it in any small place.
Thanks to its 3.8-litre fuel tank and inverter technology, this model achieves an autonomy of approximately 8 hours at 25% of the total load.
If you want to buy electric generators, but are still not sure which model to choose, we suggest you look at this alternative.
- Power: Get up to 1,700 watts of completely clean energy with this model of electric generator.
- Quiet: Don’t worry about the noise generated by this practical model, as it emits an operating volume level of up to 59 dB, making it one of the quietest on the market.
- Outputs: It has two domestic sockets of 230V plus an input to charge any 12V battery.
- Starting: If you are looking for a model of electric generator that has an electric start, we recommend you look at another alternative, since its start is manual.
- Quiet and fuel efficient 111 cc OHV engine produces 2,200 starting watts and 1700 running watts
- USB port allows charging of portable electronics in order to stay connected. Muffler : Super Lo-tone. Start type: Recoil
- Produces less than 3% total harmonic distortion making it safe for laptop computers, TVs and game systems
- 1-gallon fuel tank for up to 6.5 hours of continuous operation at 25% load
- Parallel connector port allows connection between 2 units for more power
If you are looking for an electric generator that you can use in your travelling market stall or if you are camping on the beach or in the mountains, don’t hesitate to look at this practical model that can be powered by both propane and butane gas, so it is a great solution for various situations.
It is equipped with a Pramac DJ170F air-cooled engine that has a cylinder capacity of 208 cubic centimeters and a nominal operating speed of up to 3,000 RPM. It has a mechanical speed regulator and a 0.6-liter fuel tank. In addition, its dimensions of 71.8 x 58.6 x 93.9 cm make it easy to store.
It has a very simple manual starting system, and this equipment is considered a very safe butane gas electric generator since it has an IP23 protection standard.
In order to correctly choose a model of an electric generator, it is very important to pay attention to all opinions and recommendations about the product. Below, you can look at the pros and cons of this practice model.
- Engine: Incorporates a 208 cm3 Pramac DJ170F engine that generates a continuous power of 2.45 kW.
- Mobility: It is a generator that is very easy to transport thanks to the handle and wheels incorporated in the structure that supports the engine.
- Compatible: You can easily adapt it to any standard LPG or LPG cylinder up to 300 mm in diameter.
- Power: If you are looking for a generator model that is fuel powered and not gas powered, we recommend looking at another generator from this list.
This solar electric generator is considered one of the cheapest alternatives on this list, especially if you are looking for a compact and very versatile model. It is a powerful charging station that stands out for its dimensions of 18.45 x 10.95 x 11.85 millimeters and its weight of no more than 1.3 kilograms, so you can carry it and store it anywhere with great ease thanks to its hidden lifting handles.
With this generator, you can charge a variety of electrical devices because it has 4 output ports of 15 amps, 2 AC outlets 110V, 1 USB port 3.0 QC fast charge and 3 traditional USB ports.
It has three ways of recharging: either with a cable adapted for the car’s cigarette lighter, a connection for the power outlet or a connection for solar panels.
If you are looking for a cheap but very functional electric generator, we recommend you look at both the advantages and disadvantages of this practical generator.
- AC/DC Output: You can power several devices such as laptops, small fans or some Drone models thanks to its AC port. Also, with the DC output port you can connect a cooler, pump or vacuum cleaner without any problem.
- Power: Its power reaches 150 W/h, ideal for camping or emergency work when you are absent from light.
- USB QC: It includes a fast charging USB socket very useful for your mobile phone or smart tablet.
- Charging: To fully charge this electric generator with a solar panel, be sure to use a panel of approximately 100W or 150W.
- [BE COMPACT, BE EFFICIENT]: SUAOKI S270 is not only the most compact power station in the market, but also features as many output ports as possible, think of it, size of two coffee mugs hold 150wh capacity and 10 various outlet ports, how convenient will be when you carry this 2.90 lbs weight portable generator for outdoor activites or camping, 2 hideable handles make it even more portable. If this is your first time to using a power station, this would be you best choice for the price
- [PLUG-AND-PLAY, QUIET]: SUAOKI S270 lithium backup battery pack equipped with 150Wh capacity (3.7V 40500mAh/11.1V 13500mAh), 3*USB ports(5V 2.1A), 1*QC3.0 USB port (18W max), 4*DC ports (12V 15A 180W max), 1*2 prong and 1*3 prong output socket (100W running, 150W peak). Power phone, pad, tablets, GPS, laptop, walkie-talkie, Gopro, camera, drone, festivals bulbs and camping explore devices under 100W, enjoy off the grid life, travel, hunting, fishing, vanlife, cave exploration
- [3 RECHARGE METHODS]: SUAOKI S270 emergency battery supply provides three recharging methods: 1) it takes about 7-8 hours to be fully recharged by AC 110v wall socket, ; 2) by using SUAOKI 60W or 100W solar panel kit (sold separately, recommended), this solar generator can be recharged under direct sun light, the bulid-in MPPT solar charge controller enables quick and smart charge; 3) it also can be recharged through 12V/24V car cigarette socket. (3 types of charging cable is included)
- [SAFE, RELIABLE]: Here we bring you this advanced portable generator that passed UL Certification which means absolutely safe and reliable. Battery management system (BMS) enables voltage, temperature control and more advanced safeguards, no harmful to your digital devices. Built-in LED flashlights have two models of light for blackout or emergency case such as hurricane supplies (strobe and normal-lit, bright enough to see 50 feet away); indicator lights show the residual battery capacity
- [WARRANTY]: SUAOKI brand seller offers 7*24 friendly customer service, 30 days money back guarantee, 24 months warranty, life time support. What you get: SUAOKI S270 portable power station, 3 types of mentioned charging cable (AC plug, car cigarette plug, solar panel cable), DC to car cigarette female socket, multilingual user guide, service card
If you are specifically looking for small, but gasoline-powered electric generators, don’t hesitate to check out this model which offers a maximum power of 930 watts at 3A and 50Hz.
It has an excellent start thanks to its adjustable throttle and its engine performance reaches 1500 watts with a speed of 3000 revolutions per minute. It is a great alternative for use as a portable power station, making it ideal for use in the garden or remote locations where no power is available.
It is a very safe and efficient model thanks to its A energy rating and IP23 safety standard. Its dimensions are 37.4 x 33.2 x 32.4 centimeters and 18 kilograms, so you can easily take it wherever you need to go.
Before choosing any of the above models, we recommend you look at the positive and negative aspects of this generator.
- Mobility: It is a compact and easy to transport model thanks to its dimensions of 37.4 x 33.2 x 32.4 centimetres and superior handle that allows it to hold the equipment easily.
- Engine: It incorporates a powerful gasoline engine that generates up to 1,500 watts of power with a speed of up to 3,000 RPM.
- Safe: This electric generator is considered a safe model thanks to its IP23 protection standard.
- Noise: If you are looking for a model of electric generators that does not become very noisy, we recommend choosing another generator, as this product produces approximately 90 dB of sound.
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
Accessories for electric generator
Alanko Electric Generators Light
Like any other engine for electric generators, this model has been manufactured by the German brand Alanko, which is specialized in the development of high-quality alternators and as any other dynamo, it allows obtaining electric energy from mechanical energy. This practical electric generator uses the latest technologies, which allow it to avoid any type of failure, maintaining the power, quality, and durability of the product.
On the other hand, this product has a guarantee of up to two years, which gives you a higher level of safety and confidence with this product. In addition, to guarantee its correct operation, make sure that your car is completely compatible with this dynamo.
There are several things to bear in mind when purchasing an electric generator, we are hoping after studying this guide you would be well informed and have a better understanding of what portable electric generators have to offer and how they differ.
If you’re still uncertain, we have a few other recommendations on things to consider before making a purchase. First make up your mind if you want a diesel, electric, gas, or solar generator. A solar generator is good for charging smaller devices such as tablets and smartphone, but for bigger devices you should consider a diesel or gas generator. Also, take into consideration how much wattage you require, have a price range in mind and lastly go for the ones that have quite a few power ports and few USB outlets.
The Good news is that no matter what generator you want, there are lots of options out there that can fit what you’re looking for and your budget.