You can never go wrong with the Predator 2000 inverter generator. For campers and adventurers who are often on the go, the Harbor Freight Predator 2000 generator is one of the best models in the market.
It comes in handy for campers who are tired of worrying about recharging their flashlights and cell phones. This lightweight model runs silently and is easily portable. It can run consistently at 1600 watts, meaning it can be used to power devices such as a space heater and an electric kettle.
Harbor Freight has made this model an inbuilt state-of-the-art inverter technology, that makes it the ideal source of clean and stable power for sensitive electric devices. RV campers will find this Predator generator real handy for powering their appliances when in the countryside.
Predator 2000 Generator: Notable features
- It has a 2000-watt power capacity at peak and up to 1600 watts continuous
- Uses inverter technology to produce clean and stable power for delicate appliances and at the same time produces more power with less fuel.
- It’s easily portable making it perfect for weekend getaways and lakeside camping
- Runs on a 79.7cc OHV engine that is air-cooled. It, therefore, has ample power to meet the requirements of a casual user but can still run several household devices in case of an unexpected outage.
- It runs silently, so you won’t get any noise complaints from your neighbors or disturb any animals while camping. Its fuel efficiency also gives it an edge over other models in the market. A 50% capacity will keep it running for 6.5hrs
- It’s fully enclosed with a high impact protective cover
- You can connect the Harbor Freight Predator 2000 in parallel to another generator to boost your overall output. It’s also protected from electronic overloads.
- Weight: 47 pounds
- Low oil indicator
- Fully enclosed high impact housing
- Electrical overload protection
- Parallel capability – Has an optional RV ready parallel kit in case you want to double your power by combining it with another generator
- 79.7cc air-cooled OHV gas engine
- It’s conveniently portable due to its light weight making it ideal for outdoor activities
- Uses inverter technology to produce clean power.
- Low noise generation, if for instance, you’re hosting a backdoor BBQ party, you can use it without disturbing your neighbors.
- Durable sturdy build for high impact protection
- Easy to operate for new users
- Provides a substantial amount of wattage for outdoor use.
- The low oil indicator helps to prevent engine damage when the oil is low.
- Has a small fuel tank that needs to be refilled often for regular users. But, since it runs on gasoline, it’s still pocket-friendly because gasoline is the cheapest fuel in the market.
- Unsuitable for running power-hungry appliances such as refrigerators
- Takes some time to start up.
What You Should Consider While Selecting a Portable Generator
Portable generators are the substitute to large standby generators and to a normal user, what matters most is the price of the generator and whether it’s conveniently portable. However, even after you find the generator that matches your budget, there are still more things to consider. You don’t want to end up with a bulky generator, that consumes lots of fuel and is extremely loud. So, if you want the best generator for camping and other outdoor getaways, here are a few things you should have in mind.
A good generator should be able to adjust its engine speed depending on its load. When light appliances are connected, it should automatically lower its engine speed to reduce fuel consumption. This makes it fuel efficient since it only uses the required amount of fuel.
Standard vs Inverter Generators
A generator is required when we need to run our appliances in places where we don’t have access to wall electricity. Most of these appliances are sensitive to power surges. Inverters are the safest option. They produce clean and safe electricity that’s similar to wall electricity in our homes. If you’ll be using the generator to charge your devices, an inverter generator is a better choice compared to a standard generator.
The best generators produce less noise. The sound output is measured in decibels. Generators that produce utmost 60 decibels are the best. However, the more powerful the generator the louder it will be.
Different models use different types of fuels, some being more expensive than others. Gasoline is the cheapest and most readily available, though it doesn’t have a long shelf life (You’ll need fuel stabilizers for that). Diesel generators are fuel efficient as well, but you’ll rarely find a cheap portable generator that runs on diesel. Most of them are very expensive and heavy. Propane has a long shelf life. Generators that use propane run silently with little or no sound emission.
Your Power Requirements
Generally, the generator you chose should produce enough wattage to power the devices you carry on your camping trip. A generator with a 1000 watt output can power small devices such as charging your smartphone, camping lights and other small appliances. If you carry larger appliances such as a refrigerator, air conditioner or an audio system, then you should also consider ones with higher output.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much oil can the Predator 2000 generator hold?
It can hold approximately one gallon of gasoline.
How long does a full tank last?
It depends on the load. It has a runtime of 6.5 hrs at 50% capacity. One person used it to run DJ equipment for 6-8hrs on a full tank (Amazon Review)
The Predator brand name has been associated with durable and efficient pieces of equipment over the years. Most users are happy with how the Predator 2000 Inverter Generator performs, for their various needs.
Its high durability and fuel efficiency together with its convenient wattage make it the ideal generator for short camping, RV owners and for motorboat owners. You won’t believe how quietly it runs. It can even last all night on economy mode. If you need a recreational generator for tailgating and camping, look no further.
- Double your power with parallel capability - need more power? add a second predator 2000 unit with optional RV ready predator parallel kit for up to 4, 000 watts of power
- 79.7cc air-cooled OHV gas engine
- 6-1/2 hours run-time at 50% capacity
- (2) 120VAC grounded outlets, (1) dc-12v two Pin outlet
- Recoil start