Do you live in a condo or apartment and wonder if there is a viable solution for backup power?
What will happen if the power goes out?
Are there generators which I can use indoors, safely?
If you answered yes to any of the questions you are in the right place at the right time.
Continue reading and learn about the best indoor generators and where to buy them.
Let’s boldly ask the question: Which portable generators can I run indoors?
All the reviews that you have read are about outdoor generators. They talk about the safe distance you must have between the generator and your home. Generators make noise and give out toxic fumes. You need a shelter for them in harsh climates.
You live in a condo, you say, “I will have to find something that I can keep in my closet. Of course, safety is the first issue.”
In this article, we will describe in detail a few choices which we feel are the best indoor generators in the market today.
Before we begin the discussion, let us talk about a few important issues that need consideration.
- Make sure that you are legally allowed to keep a portable generator in the apartment.
- Calculate your power needs as the capacity of the generator you will buy will depend on it.
- Set a realistic budget. This is perhaps one of the major considerations for many folks.
- Determine how much power you want during an emergency power-out situation without compromising safety.
Why Do I Need an Indoor Generator?
As you are aware, a portable generator is the most effective source of power during times when there is an outage. Folks who own generators sleep better, especially during harsh weather conditions, knowing that they and their loved ones are safe with a power backup.
The alternative power source can be a lifesaver during emergencies. During a storm, your sump pump will run and make sure it drains out excess water. Your refrigerator and heating and cooling system will function even if the grid is down.
It is a common practice to have a generator installed outdoors. But we are looking much further and exploring the option of having an indoor generator.
Here are some thoughts:
- What if your outdoor generator breaks down during a hurricane or storm?
- The indoor generator comes in handy as an alternative source of power in case the outdoor generator runs out of fuel.
- There are certain models of outdoor generators that are not safe to use under extreme weather conditions. It is always safe to have an additional indoor generator.
All the above points also apply if you are living in an apartment or condo. You will have the peace of mind of having a source of power in your closet.
Which Indoor Generator Should I Buy?
An indoor generator purchase and installation require some serious thinking. The first question you will ask is, what size of generator will be enough for my power usage?
The second question will be, will I be able to install it in my condo or apartment, following all the safety procedures?
You want to keep in mind that you would want to fully utilize the backup generator when required. This guide will help you answer the questions.
Determine Your Requirement
First questions first, where do you want to put the generator? Your home or office?
Next, what equipment do you want to run off the generator? You will make a list of all the necessary items that need to be powered during a power-out: light, refrigerator, sump pump, power tools, heating system, computer, some outlets to charge your mobile phone, etc.
These are some thoughts to get you going. The best way to make the list is to walk around the house/office with a notepad and pencil jotting down what you want to be powered in case of an emergency.
You might want to have the entire condo or office powered as you do from the grid.
Again, it is critical to make that decision before purchasing a power generator.
Calculate Your Wattage Requirements
Now that you have made the list of equipment you want running under all circumstances, go ahead and double-check the list. You don’t want to be left out in the dark! Ok, you say, I have all the items listed.
Next, determine the wattage required for each item, and estimate the total power needed.
What is My Budget?
Once you have determined your requirements, it is time to decide your budget.
Indoor portable generators come at all sizes, shapes, and prices. The way you want to approach this question is first to see if what you need in terms of power is available within your determined budget.
If yes, well and good. If you have to go beyond your budget, you will have to take the call to reduce your requirements or increase your budget. You are the only one who will be able to decide this.
Think about it this way. Do I want to go beyond what I can afford for the convenience of powering everything I need during an emergency? Or, can I reduce my emergency requirements to the most essential items I cannot do without?
This is a tough question. It is like decided what to eat for dinner immediately on a full tummy immediately after lunch.
You want to make sure you benefit from your purchase.
Top 3 Best Selling Indoor Generators
1. Suaoki Portable Power Station 150Wh Quiet Gas Free Generator
The Suaoki Portable Power Station 150Wh Quiet Gas Free Generator is a great choice as an indoor or outdoor power supply unit.
The small size of the Suaoki power station has lots of output capacity. It’s size as described on Amazon is two coffee mugs!
The output capacity on the Suaoki S270 is 150Wh and has 10 different kinds of outlets.
It’s lightweight, 2.9 lbs, making it easy to carry around. You can use it both as an indoor and outdoor generator. It comes with two handy hideable handles, increasing its portability.
This is an excellent choice for someone who is just starting out on their generator journey.
The SUAOKI S270 lithium backup battery pack comes equipped with:
- 150Wh capacity (3.7V 40500mAh/11.1V 13500mAh)
- 3*USB ports(5V 2.1A)
- 1*QC3.0 USB port (18W max)
- 4*DC ports (12V 15A 180W max)
- 1*2 prong
- 1*3 prong output socket (both sine wave, max 100W, peak power 150W)
You can use this handy portable machine to power everyday equipment, like your phone, iPad, tablets, GPS, laptop, GoPro, camera, walkie-talkie, drone, holiday lights.
It is also handy while you are off the grid camping, hunting, fishing, exploring, or simply RVing.
You have three ways in which you can recharge your Suaoki S270 emergency power supply.
- It takes about 7-8 hours to fully charge on a 110v AC wall socket.
- You can use the Suaoki 60W or 100 W solar panel kit (Sold Separately and highly recommended). With the solar panels, you can charge the Suaoki S270 in direct sunlight. The built-in MPPT solar charger controllers will charge the generator quickly.
- You can use the 12v/24v car cigarette lighter socket to charge the power bank. (3 types of charging cables are included).
Here are the safety and reliability features of the the Suaoki S270:
- It passed the UL certification, making it topmost in safety and reliability.
- The BMS – battery management system – allows for voltage and temperature control, along with several advanced safeguards.
- It is not harmful to your delicate electronic devices.
- The handy indicator light shows the amount of battery power remaining.
- It has two built-in LED flashlights for blackout or emergency.
- Normal lit, bright enough to be seen 50 feet away.
The friendly folk at Suaoki brand are available 24×7. The generator comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, a 24-month warranty, and lifetime support.
The Suaoki S270 can be safely used in your apartment or condo as an efficient home power backup system.
2. Webetop 155Wh 42000mAh Generator
The Webetop 155Wh indoor generator generator has the added advantage over other similar models of producing more power. It has a much larger capacity 42000mAh compared to the standard 40800mAh.
This model is perfect for all emergencies. You can use it in your home or condo, during camping, You can safely charge all your delicate electronic equipment – laptops, tablets, phones, computers, etc., along with several home appliances.
The Webetop 155Wh model comes standard with powerful ac, usb, and 12v outputs.
- 110v Dual AC outlet (sine wave mx 100W, peak power 150W) — this outlet come handy to for laptops, tv, fans, decoration lights, etc.
- 3*12V DC ports (max 180W with car cigarette cable) — perfect for car vacuum, car refrigerator, car air fan, car charger, etc.
- 3*5V USB ports — ideal for phones, iPad, gps, mp3, camera, etc.
The generator will come in handy for emergencies, camping, or whenever and wherever you need power.
Recharging the Webetop 155Wh can be done in several ways. You can use a solar panel (sold separately) (13V-24V/over 18W).
The best part is when there is sunshine there is power!
You can use a wall outlet. It will take between 7 to 8 hours to fully charge with the included power adapter.
You can also use the car 12V adapter (car charger included)
The cute and easy to carry around mini portable albeit, high capacity 155Wh 42000mAh lithium ion portable powerhouse weighs in only at 3.48 lbs.
The dimensions are: 7.67” x 6.73” x 3.54”
This is probably the smallest generator of this kind in the market. Take it along anywhere you need power!
It comes with a handy ultra bright led. The brilliant and bright LED will last upto 125 hours.
It comes with a one-button switch to blink mode — excellent for outdoor lighting or emergencies.
The company uses a high level BMS (battery management system) to ensure safe operations. The BMS helps prevent short-circuit, power surge, over heating, low voltage, among other safety features.
3. Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 240Wh Generator
Belonging to the Jackery Explorer family, the Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 240Wh Generator has the power to charge your smartphone 18 times, your laptop 4 times, you GoPro 40 times, your favorite Drone, Mini Fridge, Mini Projector, and other small appliances – you get the picture.
This light, compact, easily portable generator, boasts the lightest in its class weighing only 6.6 lbs and 5” wide x 8” high. It comes with handy dandy carry handles for ease of handling.
Moreover, it is noise-free and without vibration. It has Zero-emissions, which does not harm the environment or individual.
This amazing portable power station works well for your RVing, camping, weather emergency, and other power outages.
You can use 60W solar panels (sold separately) to charge it under the sun. It will take approximately 7 hours in full sun. It will take 8 hours in a home AC outlet, and 8 hours by using a car charger.
In the box are included: Jackery Explorer 240 Portable Power Station (240Wh Portable Power Supply). 9.5 ft AC adapter, 3.3 ft Car Charger cable, and a User Guide.
Pros and Cons of Indoor Generators
Every individual acquiring a generator will have the safety of their household in mind first.
Here are some Pros and Cons to help you decide if an indoor generator is the answer to your queries.
- An indoor generator is an excellent and safe source of emergency backup power
- If extreme weather does not permit the use of outdoor generator, an indoor backup comes in handy
- You can keep it safe from the elements, like rain, snow, hurricanes, etc.
- These machines can power most survival appliances
- Depending on the load, it can give power for several days at a stretch
- Quiet operations. No noise emission
- Free from any toxic releases, which could be harmful to health
- Most of them are light in weight, making them practically portable
- Since indoor generators do not require expensive fuel, like propane, diesel, gas, etc. they are relatively cost efficient
- Indoor generators can be an expensive investment
- They require recharging
- The load/capacity is limited
- May require proper ventilation
- They may require professional installation and permits from proper authorities
All said and done, investing in an indoor generator for your condo, apartment, RV, etc. has its definite benefits.
You will have acquired a sound understanding about indoor portable generators to help in making an educated decision.
You want to invest in a generator that works efficiently and safely. It meets all your requirements during an emergency or a power outage, or when you require power on the go.
It is always better to be safe than sorry. Be ready at all times. Choose your indoor generator wisely and sensibly.